Joe’s recent visit to Via was not just about discovering their services; it was also about the joy of preparing smothered pork chops with Stephen Foots at the charming Dauphin Street Cafe. In this article, CarefullyHealth team delves into Via, one of the 46 partner agencies supported by the United Way of Southwest Alabama, and explores how they are dedicated to promoting a healthy, active, and independent lifestyle among adults in the community.
Via’s Mission and Initiatives
Via, known for its vital role in the community, has a resounding mission: to champion a healthy and independent lifestyle for adults. Their approach involves advocacy, education, and leading the way in healthy aging programs and initiatives that benefit the community at large.
A Wealth of Programs at Via
Via stands out for its diverse array of programs and services tailored to meet the needs of its community. These include:
- State-of-the-Art Fitness Center: Offering specialized fitness classes and more than 40 health, fitness, and enrichment programs, Via provides a comprehensive fitness hub for all.
- GrandFriends Adult Daycare Program: An invaluable service that supports caregivers and provides a welcoming environment for older adults.
- Veterans Daycare & Veterans Programs: Recognizing the service of veterans, Via offers programs designed to address their unique needs.
- Volunteer Guardian Program: A testament to the power of community, this program brings volunteers together to support and advocate for those in need.
- Drive-Through Community Food Distributions/Emergency Food Pantry: In challenging times, Via steps up to provide essential food support to the community.
- Transportation: Ensuring that individuals can access the services they need, Via offers transportation solutions.
- Neighbor-To-Neighbor Check-In Service: A heartwarming initiative that fosters a sense of community and ensures no one feels alone.
- Outreach To Seniors in Income-Based Housing: Via reaches out to seniors in need, ensuring they have access to essential services.
- Information & Assistance: Providing vital information and assistance to those navigating complex systems.
- Onsite Cafeteria – Dauphin Street Café: A delightful culinary experience awaits at the Dauphin Street Cafe.
- Intergenerational Programs: Bridging the generation gap, these programs encourage connections between young and old.
A Culinary Delight: Dauphin Street Café
While exploring Via’s offerings, it’s impossible to overlook the culinary gem that is the Dauphin Street Cafe. Open to the public, this café offers a welcoming environment for all, with no vaccination requirements for dining on-site. Whether you’re dining in or opting for a to-go order, Dauphin Street Cafe has you covered.
- Monday – Friday: 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Delicious Lunch Options:
- Lunches are priced at $8 and include one entree, two sides, a roll, dessert, and tea.
- Opt for the Combo daily luncheon at $7, featuring a choice of a ham or turkey sandwich, salad, chips, and tea.
Dauphin Street Cafe isn’t just a place to enjoy a meal; it’s a hub for community connections and a testament to Via’s commitment to inclusivity and accessibility.
In conclusion, Via stands as a beacon of support and community in Southwest Alabama. Their dedication to promoting health, independence, and a sense of belonging among adults is exemplified through their diverse programs and the warm embrace of the Dauphin Street Cafe. Joe’s visit serves as a reminder of the importance of organizations like Via, which work tirelessly to enhance the lives of individuals and create a stronger, more connected community for all.